Veterans Health Benefits Handbook
Understanding Your VA Health Benefits
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is committed to informing enrolled Veterans about VA health benefits and services they have earned and deserve. VA has produced a new and improved personalized Veterans Health Benefits Handbook for Veterans who are enrolled for VA health care.
The new handbooks are smaller in size and contain updated and new information on VA health care benefits.
Like the previous handbooks, the new handbooks are tailored specifically for each Veteran and provide detailed, updated information about the VA health care benefits the Veteran may be eligible to receive such as medications, prosthetics and dental care.
The handbook also provides answers to common questions, contact information for the Veteran's preferred facility, instructions on how to schedule appointments, information regarding the Affordable Care Act, the Veteran’s copay responsibilities, if any, and much more.
The Veterans Health Benefits Handbook link on eBenefits has been temporarily taken offline. This link allows enrolled Veterans the opportunity to print and/or save a copy of the handbook.
The Veterans Health Benefits Handbook link on eBenefits is temporarily disabled, and is expected to be enabled in late 2015. This link allows enrolled Veterans the opportunity to print and/or save a copy of the handbook. For more information about eBenefits and how to sign up, visit https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal
When You Can Expect to Receive Your New Handbook
- In September 2014, VA began mailing the new version of the handbook to enrolled Veterans.
- The new handbooks will be mailed in Priority Group order, beginning with Veterans enrolled in Priority Group 1 and ending with Veterans enrolled in Priority Group 8. VA asks for your patience while we complete the mailing of over 8 million handbooks to enrolled Veterans.
- If you are enrolled and have a new mailing address, please be sure to update your information with us so that you can receive your new handbook. You may do so by visiting your local VA medical center or by calling 1-877-222-VETS (8387).
- Newly-enrolled Veterans will receive a book within two weeks of enrollment.
- The following is the handbook distribution schedule:
|Veterans Health Benefits Handbook Distribution|
|Fall 2014||Priority Group 1 and new enrollees|
|Winter 2014||Priority Groups 1 and 2 and new enrollees|
|Spring 2015||Priority Groups 2 and 3 and new enrollees|
|Summer 2015||Priority Group 3 and new enrollees|
|Fall 2015||Priority Group 4 and new enrollees|
|Winter 2015||Priority Groups 5 and 6 and new enrollees|
|Spring 2016||Priority Groups 6, 7 and 8 and new enrollees|
|Summer 2016||Priority Group 8 and new enrollees|
|Fall 2016||Priority Group 8 and new enrollees|
What you Should Do With Your Old Handbook
Since the handbook contains personal information, we encourage Veterans to destroy their old handbook by cutting it up or shredding it.
For additional information or if you have any questions regarding the handbook you may call us at 1-877-222-8387.