Office of Small & Disadvantaged Business Utilization
Vets First Verification Program
8:00am to 8:00pm (Eastern)
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Has Special Authority for Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business/Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB/VOSB) Set-aside and Sole Source Contracts.
Public Law (P.L.) 109-461 entitled “Veterans Benefits, Health Care, and Information Technology Act of 2006” provides VA with unique authority for contracting with SDVOSB and VOSB. A new procurement hierarchy within VA for open market procurements was created which places our highest priority with SDVOB followed by VOSB. These are followed by 8(a), HUBZone, Woman-Owned Small Business, then all other Small Businesses. This procurement authority, and its subsequent implementation, is a logical extension of VA’s mission, to care for our nation’s Veterans. VA refers to this program as the Veterans First Contracting Program. See VA Acquisition Regulation Part 808, Required Sources of Supplies and Services, for the priorities in acquisition..
In order to qualify for participation in the VA Veterans First Contracting Program, eligible business owners must first be verified.
Verification Assistance Program
VA has developed a Verification Assistance Program to help Veterans understand the Verification policy and process. The goal of the program is to reduce the risk of denial due to lack of understanding and misinterpretation of the regulation. To accomplish this objective, we are establishing partnerships with Veteran Services and small business support organizations that can provide assistance to Veterans considering applying for the Vet First program.
Guides and Popular Fact Sheets
- Initial Verification Application Guide
- 4 Steps to VA Verification
- Verification Application Required Documents Rationale
- Verification Renewal Fact Sheet
Laws and Regulations
- 38 CFR § 74 - VA Veteran-Owned Small Business Verification Guidelines
- 38 CFR § 74 RIN 2900-AO49 - (See page 1, center column) Interim final rule regarding the two-year Verification eligibility term for SDVOSB/VOSBs
- 38 U.S.C. §§ 8127/8128 (Veteran Benefits)
- P.L. 111-275, Sec. 104 (Small Business Verification Act)
- 48 C.F.R. Parts 802, 804, 808, 809, 810, 813, 815, 817, 819, 828 & 852 Veterans First Contracting
Center for Verification and Evaluation Standard Operating Procedure (Last reviewed on September 29, 2015)
- PROC-VERIFICATION-001 - Verification Process