Office of Small & Disadvantaged Business Utilization
Vets First Verification Program
8:00am to 8:00pm (Eastern)
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has special authority for Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business and Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB and VOSB) set-aside and sole source contracts.
Public Law (P.L.) 109-461 entitled “Veterans Benefits, Health Care, and Information Technology Act of 2006” provides VA with unique authority for contracting with SDVOSB and VOSB. A new procurement hierarchy within VA for open market procurements was created which places highest priority with SDVOSB then VOSB. These small business groups are followed by 8(a), HUBZone, Women-Owned Small Business, then all other small businesses. This procurement authority, and its subsequent implementation, is a logical extension of VA’s mission to care for our nation’s Veterans. VA refers to this program as the Veterans First Contracting Program. See VA Acquisition Regulation Part 808, Required Sources of Supplies and Services, for the priorities in acquisition.
In order to qualify for participation in the VA Veterans First Contracting Program, eligible VOSB owners must first be verified. Start Verification »
Center for Verification and Evaluation (CVE) Transformation
Candid feedback from SDVOSB and VOSB stakeholders indicated that CVE needed to increase customer service touchpoints within the existing Vets First Verification process. The MyVA Verification Application Transformation Trial outlines this organizational transformation and the improvements to Verification processing.
Verification Guides and Popular Fact Sheets
- Initial Verification Application Guide - Outlines regulatory requirements in 38 CFR Part 74; assists applicants to comply with when applying for Verification.
- 4 Steps to VA Verification - Provides snapshot of steps associated with Verification process.
- What documents do I need to apply? - Lists required documentation necessary to apply for Verification.
- Verification Application Required Documents Rationale - Provides insight on what documents are needed for Verification and how CVE reviews them to process Verification applications.
- Reverification Process Fact Sheet - Read more about the Reverification process.
- Average Verification Processing Time - View the average processing time of Verification applications over the last three months.
Verification Webinars and Town Halls
- Verification Webinars and Town Halls - CVE hosts recurring training for interested SDVOSBs/VOSBs on different aspects of the Verification process.
Verification Assistance Program
VA has developed a Verification Assistance Program to help Veterans understand Verification policy and processes. The goal of this program is to reduce the risk of denial due to lack of understanding and misinterpretation of the regulation. Partnering Veteran service organizations and small business support organizations can provide assistance to Veterans who are interested in applying for the Vet First Verification Program.
VA Certified Verification Counselors
VA Certified Verification Counselors are trained by VA OSDBU to provide Verification application assistance to SDVOSBs/VOSBs. Counselor assistance is available at no cost to the Veteran and available throughout the United States, Puerto Rico, and Guam. Additional counselor assistance features include:
- Provide insight regarding the interpretation of regulation 38 CFR Part 74
- Review a firm’s business model
- Answer questions on how to use the Verification Self-Assessment Tool
- Status Checks on where an applicant is in the Verification process
If you are a SDVOSB/VOSB applicant in need of assistance, visit the list of VA Certified Verification Counselors.
Verification Assistance Counselor Training
VA continues to offer its “Understanding the VA Verification Process” training series to certify Verification Counselors nationwide. Interested Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) Counselors and Veteran Partner Organizations interested in becoming VA certified to counsel Veterans are encourgaged to participate. View Upcoming Training Dates and Register for Training »
Laws and Regulations
- 38 CFR § 74 - VA Veteran-Owned Small Business Verification Guidelines
- 38 CFR § 74 RIN 2900-AO49 - Interim final rule regarding the two-year Verification eligibility term for SDVOSB/VOSBs (See page 1, Center Column)
- 38 U.S.C. §§ 8127/8128 Veteran Benefits
- P.L. 111-275, Sec. 104 Small Business Verification Act
- 48 C.F.R. Parts 802, 804, 808, 809, 810, 813, 815, 817, 819, 828 & 852 Veterans First Contracting
Center for Verification and Evaluation Standard Operating Procedure (Last reviewed on September 29, 2015)
- PROC-VERIFICATION-001 - Verification Process
VA Moves Against Non-Compliant and Fraudulent Firms
CVE has established a process to report firms alleged to be non-compliant with one or more of the regulatory requirements for the Vets First Verification Program. Report firms believed to be non-compliant of 38 CFR Part 74.
The VA Office of Inspector General is committed to protecting the rights of SDVOSBs/VOSBs by vigorously investigating and seeking prosecution of those who deprive Veterans who have earned the right to set-aside government contracts. Report fraud to VA OIG Hotline.