Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs
Office of Intergovernmental Affairs
The Office of Intergovernmental Affairs (IGA) serves as the Department's liaison in all intergovernmental affairs matters and is the primary point of contact with federal, state, local, American Indian, and Native Alaskan Government officials. The mission of IGA is to coordinate VA's participation in intergovernmental affairs initiatives, including White House-sponsored activities, and assess the issues and concerns of state, local, and Tribal officials and the impact of VA's action on their areas of jurisdiction. The office also facilitates continuous and bilateral communications between state and Tribal governments and VA to gain early knowledge of their actions, concerns, issues, and supporting programs.
- Serves as the primary contact with the White House, other Federal agencies, and state and local government officials on projects affecting VA initiatives.
- Acts as the central contact point for the State and Local Government Veterans Officials.
- Coordinates with other federal agencies in developing programs and subject matter exchanges for representatives of foreign governments concerning veteran issues.
- Organizes with foreign governments all international commemorative events such as the anniversary of foreign wars, battles, and official recognition by foreign governments of our veterans.
- Consults with American Indian and Alaska Native tribal governments to develop partnerships that enhance access to services and benefits by Veterans and their families.
- Enhances government-to-government relations with American Indian and Alaska Native tribal governments.
State Veteran Resources
- National Association of State Directors of Veterans Affairs
- National Association of State Veterans Homes
- National Association of County Veterans Service Officers
- Library of Congress-State & Local Governments
- VA Medical Facilities
- VA Regional Offices
- National Cemeteries
- National Conference of State Legislators
- National Foundation for Women Legislators
- American Legislative Exchange Council
- National Association of Counties
- U.S. Conference of Mayors
Homeless Veteran Programs
- Homelessness Among Veterans
- HUD Veterans Resource Center
- Department of Labor Veterans' Employment and Training Service